Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Carly's Introduction

9/2/15

Hi, my name is Carly and I am a 4th year Museum Studies student here at RIT. Over the summer I completed two internships, one at the Wildlife Museum and the other at the Gloversville Public Library. I enjoyed my time at both institutions, and I gained some great experience. At the Wildlife Museum, which is located right in my hometown, I was able to observe how children of different age groups interacted with the exhibits while on their school field trips. I noticed that older children are much more independent and prefer to be their own guides, only asking questions when they want clarification on something.
At the Gloversville Public Library I was able to work on a project that my supervisor had been wanting to start for a while. The project involved organizing a post card collection that had been gifted to the library by a local Historian and Physician after he had passed away. I was also asked to transcribe the messages on the backs of the post cards, and the week before my internship came to an end I had begun to scan the cards onto a computer.
The library also would like for me to come back over the winter break to continue working on the post card project, and I am more than happy to do so.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carly,
    Remember to label yourself in your post! What did you read that excited or inspired you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to work on a postcard collection too this summer. Their were about 300 of them but luckily I had a partner and we got through the numbering and photos pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That kind of work can be a lot of fun! I did something similar at the RMSC last year and ran into some really interesting stories, and even a pirate map!

    ReplyDelete