Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Introduction

Originally, I was not a Museum Studies major. I came to RIT in 2013 as a sophomore. My freshman year was spent at Ithaca College where I was a film major concentrating in screenwriting with a minor in psychology. My love for film only last a semester and my love for Egypt, archaeology, and anthropology took over leading me into my first Museum Studies class at Ithaca. I loved the course and decided to transfer to RIT. My interests in Egypt and archaeology have been with me since I was a small child, maybe 4 or 5 years old. The program here allowed me to branch out into other areas such as art, exhibition design, and curation just to name a few but never found a passion in any of these areas. I took Tablet to Tablet in Spring 2014 which is taught at the Cary Collection as is about the History of the Book, and finally I found my passion in the field. I am now using the skills I learned in that class and doing my thesis on the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili. 


Title Page of Hypnerotomachia Poliphi (1499) from Columbia University

I have some experience with museums. My first internship was at the Rochester Museum and Science Center in the summer of 2015 (so last summer). I worked in the collections department where I was working with metadata and assigning objects accession numbers.

That same summer I interned at the Macedon Public Library (my hometown's local library) in what we call the Bullis Room, which is just a rare book room from the Bullis Family. All the books are have fire and water damage because of the fire that destroyed the original library in 2001. At this internship I had to inventory the books that were in the room and compare it to the list of books that predated the fire. I also had to check to see if the books were on the OWL (Ontario - Wayne Libraries) system. I was also given the chance to curate my own exhibit. In two months I researched and pulled materials for my exhibit, Sherlock Holmes: A Classical Detective for the Modern Age. 

The poster for my Sherlock Holmes Exhibit. 

My last internship was over this summer. I interned at the RIT Archives. My project was to create a Pinterest page for the Archives. I had the input of the summer staff and I created boards from the collections found in the Archives. I am still working on the page as part of my job and I'm training my co-workers on Pinterest so the page will stay active for the time being. Check us out here: https://www.pinterest.com/RITArchives/


7 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    I love that you are so passionate in your love for rare books as well as Egypt. It is remarkable that with the latter, you have had a sustained interest in it since you were a young child. I am impressed that you have figured out your topic already (down to a T) as well as have seen it several times in person! Your work experience sounds quite varied and as though it has prepared you for a rigorous job in the rare books field. How did you originally come across the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across a poster at work that talked about a lecture by the former Cary curator. I'll be contacting him for more information!

      Delete
  2. That's an awesome effort you've already put into your thesis while most of us are still just starting! Good luck and I hope this motivation lasts you till the end of Spring Semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post and find couple of things fascinating especially with the fact about your passion with Egypt historical items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your summer internship, and presentation, is one that I remember vividly as my favorite from last year.

    ReplyDelete