Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Ruth Starr, Thesis Topic

I intend to look at the challenges of accessibility with local institutions around Rochester for my Senior Thesis topic. As I've become invested in this aspect of Museum Studies, I have learned that accessibility efforts are incredibly un-standardized at varying institutions. One of the reasons for this, of course, is the discrepancy in resources at cultural organizations. Another reason, which I am interested in, is the general staff understanding of diverse audiences.

The museum field has seen an influx of accessibility initiatives - largely being charged by education departments. However, for equal access to be achieved, this must be a goal for the entire institution, and thereby, the entire staff. I am curious about the mindsets surrounding disability, accessibility, and aspects of social justice within local institutions.

I am incredibly honored and humbled that Tabitha Jacques, the current director of the NTID / RIT Dyer Arts Center has agreed to support my project by serving as a secondary advisor to my thesis. As we head into the middle of the semester, I will continue to set the foundation for my research by contacting local institutions, and connecting with community members to begin the dialogue surrounding accessibility.

Additionally, I am fortunate to be taking part in the three-part webinar series "Stories of Inclusion: Inclusive Practices at Cultural Institutions" sponsored through a partnership between the American Alliance of Museums and Museum Access Consortium.

There are many exciting opportunities on the horizon, and I am avidly anticipating how my thesis project will continue to evolve to create the greatest impact on local institutions' practices, and our unique Rochester community.




2 comments:

  1. Ruth,

    I'm very curious about YOUR perspective on the mindset with accessibility and social justice. After all, you are a double-major student with interpreting and Museum studies.

    It is wonderful news that Tabitha Jacques became your secondary advisor. She would be a outstanding advisor for your senior thesis.

    Wish you best of luck with your researches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am extremely interested in seeing your thesis develop. As Susana pointed out, I feel you have a great perspective to bring to this topic. Congratulations on finding your secondary advisor! Also, it is amazing that you have the chance to participate in an AAM and Museum Access Consortium webinar!

    ReplyDelete