Monday, September 28, 2015

History of Baseball in Rochester

Chapter 2 of the Turabian text suggested searching your interests when considering a topic, and that is how I began my project. I love history and I love baseball, and so I chose to look at the history of the Rochester Red Wings as the topic for my thesis. I contacted Michelle Finn of the Rochester Public Library and found out from her that the library has quite a few baseball related items in its collection, such as scrapbooks, photographs, yearbooks, and other memorabilia related to the Red Wings. Through the research that I have done so far, I know that the Rochester Public Library had an exhibition on the history of baseball in Rochester, called "Pride and Passion," a couple years ago. So I think that it would be interesting to create an online exhibit that the public would be able to view on the library's website. As I continue with this project I will need to figure out what story I want the exhibit to tell. Right now I am entertaining the question of whether baseball is still considered to be "America's Pastime." I think this question might help my topic to "fit into a larger context"(Turabian, p.15).

1 comment:

  1. Carly, this seems to be a great synthesis of your many interests. A very interesting, and relevant topic for your senior thesis!

    ReplyDelete