Monday, September 28, 2015

Reader Response in the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili

Since the beginning of summer I have been focusing on reader response found in different copies of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili. I have seen five copies of the book, four of which had some sort of marginalia. However, I want to closely study the Cary Collection's version because of the hand coloring of some of the illustrations. My working research question is What forms does reader response take in the Cary Collection's copy of the Hypnerotomoachia Poliphili? I am going to answer this question by pointing out the marginalia and trying to prove that the coloring was not done professionally but as a way to personalize the book. I am going to look at literature for my lit review that deals with reader response, the Hypnertomoachia Poliphili in general, and coloring found in incunabulas (a book printed within the first 50 years of the printing press). My next steps is to do this research and to go through the book and count how many illustrations have been colored.

                        For your enjoyment here is a picture of my cat "helping" me with my thesis.


4 comments:

  1. Your project sounds very interesting! Cats are attention seekers; my sister's cat likes to attack my pen when I'm trying write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a unique topic for research. For readability, it may be interesting to compare some of your observations with research on contemporary readers' responses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you found out about this book earlier this summer and instantly thought to incorporate it into your thesis. I can tell that your preparedness and passion for the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili as well as other rare books will help you tremendously throughout your senior thesis.

    ReplyDelete