Thursday, September 3, 2015

Ruth Starr, Introduction

Hello fellow readers! My name is Ruth Starr, I'm a double major at RIT in Museum Studies and ASL-English Interpreting, originally from Chicago, IL. I first became involved with non-profits working at the Evanston Public Library. The library was my first exposure to working in an informal learning environment, and community-based learning. I've always been passionate about books, art, and education, so working in cultural institutions became a natural fit.

My first internship with Museum Studies was at the Memorial Art Gallery here in Rochester, NY. I had an opportunity to work in the Creative Workshop with the Department of Education at the art museum. I learned a lot about art education, and how museums partner with schools to engage their audiences at a young age.
25 Year American's with Disabilities Act Anniversary Festival. Chinatown, NYC. 2015

This summer I had the privilege of interning at The Museum of Modern Art in New York City. I worked, again, in the Department of Education. MoMA has such extensive programming that Education is further subdivided. Within the department, my work was in the Community, Access, School and Teacher Programs divisions. I look forward to continuing my work with art, education, and accessibility with my thesis project this year.
Core Values Poster. Department of Education, The Museum of Modern Art. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ruth,
    If you haven't come across their work already, you may be interested in the Museum Access Consortium: http://museumaccessconsortium.org/about/

    ReplyDelete